At New Life Assembly we believe in supporting ministries that are reaching the world with the message of the gospel. At present we are supporting missionaries in 5 countries around the world.
As you may be aware, a few months ago, Bonita and Alberto both contracted COVID-19. Both were taken to hospitals in Cuba. Sadly, on March 30th, Alberto passed away. He is now with Jesus.
While we celebrate the miracles we are in seeing in Bonita’s recovery, we acknowledge the sad reality that Alberto has passed away. He was such a Godly man and gracious friend to many. It is Bonita’s desire to return to Cuba, as soon as her health permits, to arrange a memorial service for Alberto.
Ministry Location: Cuba
Ministry Focus: Bonita works primarily in the area of theological education throughout Cuba. Their main goal is not to simply teach students, but to educate new professors so that they can effectively teach in their own seminaries. They are also discreetly involved in many other projects as needed.
Ministry History: Bonita first went to Cuba on a short-term missions trip in 2001 and while there, God clearly called her to return and minister in that island nation. Full-time ministry in Cuba had been restricted for many years, and remains restricted to this day, but God miraculously opened the doors for Bonita to minister in Cuba in this way. Several years later, God brought Alberto into her life and they have effectively ministered from one end of the island to the other from that point on.
- Comfort as Bonita grieves and adapts to life without Alberto
- Financial resources to help cover Alberto's memorial costs
- Continued health and healing so that Bonita can return to Cuba
- Strength and provision for the work.
Ministry Location: Guinea, Africa
Ministry Focus: Making disciples--this is what Phil and Judy are about. PAOC's "Alleluia" churches are young, vibrant and eager for support and training to reach this Muslim dominated country. "Dr. Phil" is the theological educational consultant for Guinea, Liberia and Senegal, and in this role he teaches courses and trains leaders for the churches of West Africa. Additionally, he is the director of Global University (formerly ICI) for these countries. Judy is the facilitator of discipleship and evangelistic strategies with a vision for multiplicative church planting in Guinea and beyond. She also oversees the ChildCARE Plus Program for Guinea. Together they are working to strengthen and develop the 17 Alleluia Christian schools in Guinea.
Ministry Location: Cat Lake First Nation
Ministry Focus: Jonathan and Katie Larsh serve in Cat Lake: a remote (fly-in-only) First Nation reserve about 180km north of Sioux Lookout, a community of about 500 people. They moved there in 2011 to start up an A.C.E. Christian school at the request of the Band Council. Since then the school has grown to over 30 students, in grades K-8 so far, but with potential for High School grades as well. In addition to being principal/teacher/administrator of the school, in 2013 they also started leading services in the small local church, which was not running at the time. Since then, Jonathan has gotten credentials through the PAOC as a pastor under the APM (Aboriginal Pentecostal Ministries), and they continue to lead services and do other ministry through the church. Jonathan and Katie also have 5 children (Joshua, Hosanna, Elijah, Caleb and Matthias), 4 of whom are now in the Christian school. One of the biggest forms of ministry for the whole family is being a living example of a God-centered life; in marriage, family, parenting, work, and daily life.
Ministry Focus: We will see a total turn around in individual lives, from poverty to wholeness, from sickness to health, from darkness to light. We will bring compassion to the vulnerable and hope to the hopeless.
Mission 180 Ministries exists to;
1. Help needy people in Canada and Africa. We exist to Impact the lives of people in need by showing them the love of Jesus through practical acts of kindness that include caring for the whole person; body, mind, soul and spirit.
2. We will help the mind and body by helping meet immediate physical needs, feeding the hungry, bringing medical attention to illness and wounds and supplying medicine for the prevention of further disease. We will help by supplying food, clothing and housing. We will provide employment training, equipping and opportunities.
3. We will help the mind, Soul and spirit by introducing anyone who has not already heard the Gospel to a relationship with Jesus Christ through the teaching and preaching of the Bible.
4. We will actively participate in the life of Christian churches in the countries where we operate by preaching and teaching in local congregations during special meetings and regularly scheduled worship times.
5. We will provide training for existing ministers, and we will help to raise up new church leaders, through seminars, conferences, and ministry training schools.
6. We will impact the lives of Canadians by providing volunteer service opportunities in Canada and abroad. We will provide planning and training for Short Term Missions to the developing world. This will include resources for travel plans, and actual specific missions/service opportunities in the developing world. We will host teams from churches, sports clubs, businesses etc. We will also host families or individuals who want to come and offer their talents and services.
7. We will raise up Canadians to come to the developing world for long term missions, providing them with opportunities to pour their lives into those in need.
Missions Canada Urban Worker
Ministry Location: Toronto, ON
Ministry Focus: Urban Ministry
As an Mission Canada urban worker in downtown Toronto, Ejay ministers to those in the urban core who find themselves in cyclical poverty. He has been a consistent presence on the streets of Toronto for over 11 years. One of the Scripture passages that guides his life and ministry is:
“To the weak I became weak, to win the weak.
I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.”
1 Corinthians 9:22-23 (NIV).
Ejay believes that marginalized people cannot be saved through programs. Loving people with deep compassion is a precious calling. This is why he believes in serving in whatever capacity he is able in order to meet these needs. It is an incredible privilege to be trusted by the people he serves. Ejay is grateful for how he is able to journey with people in the margins. Ejay, and his wife Cheryl, serve to be a bridge to their neighbours both rich and poor, building community amongst them and practicing radical hospitality. They do this so they may have a glimpse into the kingdom of God.
Ministry Location: Eurasia
Ministry Focus: God led Jay and J with their two children to the Turkic world in 2014. They currently serve as associate pastors of an International Church and their passions are prayer, evangelism, discipleship, helping the vulnerable and bringing unity to the body of Christ. The country they serve in is one of the most unreached people groups in the world with less than 0.03% of the population claiming to be Christian and approximately 98% Muslim. Currently there are approximately 4 million refugees in the country due to war and persecution who desperately need help.
Ministry History: Jay's history is in business and governance and J had her own business and worked with the vulnerable downtown Hamilton, Ontario. God led them away from their home and comforts to go to the Turkic world to serve in one of the least reached countries in the world. They have served on the leadership teams in two different international churches and also help the local churches where they can. Jay is the Chairperson for a Christian Network in the country to promote unity, sharing and collaboration. They also partner with ERDO and a local refugee ministry on a project basis.
- Pray for opportunities to reach out to the lost and unreached.
- Pray that God will protect Jay & J and blind the eyes of those that shouldn't see them and open the eyes of those that are ready to receive the gospel.
- Pray for Jay & J. as they navigate two of their teenagers moving back to Canada.
- Pray that God would give wisdom and favour to Jay as he provides leadership to the Network.